inotify is intended to correct the deficiencies of dnotify, particularly
its inability to scale and its terrible user interface:
* dnotify requires the opening of one fd per each directory
that you intend to watch. This quickly results in too many
open files and pins removable media, preventing unmount.
* dnotify is directory-based. You only learn about changes to
directories. Sure, a change to a file in a directory affects
the directory, but you are then forced to keep a cache of
* dnotify's interface to user-space is awful. Signals?
inotify provides a more usable, simple, powerful solution to file change
* inotify's interface is a system call that returns a fd, not SIGIO.
You get a single fd, which is select()-able.
* inotify has an event that says "the filesystem that the item
you were watching is on was unmounted."
* inotify can watch directories or files.
Inotify is currently used by Beagle (a desktop search infrastructure),
Gamin (a FAM replacement), and other projects.
Signed-off-by: Robert Love <email@example.com>
Cc: John McCutchan <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Cc: Christoph Hellwig <email@example.com>
Signed-off-by: Andrew Morton <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <email@example.com>
24 files changed